[openstack-dev] [nova] Updating a volume attachment

Shoham Peller shoham.peller at stratoscale.com
Thu Feb 11 17:20:27 UTC 2016

Thank you Andrea for your reply.

I know this spec and it is indeed a viable solution.
However, I think allowing users to update the attachment detail, rather
than detach and re-attach a volume for every change is more robust and more
convenient.

Also, IMHO it's a better user-experience if users can use a single API call
instead of detach API call, poll for the detachment, re-attach the volume,
and poll again for the attachment if they want to powerup the VM.
The bdm DB updating, can happen from nova-api, without IRC'ing a compute
node, and thus return only when the request has been completed fully.

Don't you agree it's needed, even when detaching a boot volume is possible?

Shoham

http://specs.openstack.org/openstack/nova-specs/specs/mitaka/approved/detach-boot-volume.html