[openstack-dev] [all][tc] Proposal: Separate design summits from OpenStack conferences

Thierry Carrez thierry at openstack.org
Mon Feb 8 10:56:04 UTC 2016

Daniel P. Berrange wrote:
> [...]
> I really agree with everything you say, except for the bit about the
> community doing organization - I think its fine to let function event
> staff continue with the burden of planning, as long as their goals are
> directed by the community needs.

Exactly.

> I might suggest that we could be a bit more radical with the developer
> event and decouple the timing from the release cycle. The design summits
> are portrayed as events where we plan the next 6 months of work, but the
> release has already been open for a good 2-3 or more weeks before we meet
> in the design summit. This always makes the first month of each development
> cycle pretty inefficient as decisions are needlessly postponed until the
> summit. The bulk of specs approval then doesn't happen until after the
> summit, leaving even less time until feature freeze to get the work done.

I agree that the developer event happens too late in the cycle (3 weeks
after final release, 5 weeks after RC1 where most people switch to next
cycle, and 8 weeks after FF, where we start thinking about the next
cycle). That said, I still think the dev event should be "coupled" with
the cycles. It just needs to happen earlier.

--
Thierry Carrez (ttx)