[openstack-dev] [all][tc] Proposal: Separate design summits from OpenStack conferences

Alexander Makarov amakarov at mirantis.com
Sun Feb 7 23:05:12 UTC 2016

Colleagues,

I agree with this proposal: of course it's fun to receive some free
tee-shirts/magnets, but my main interest as a developer is to take part in
design summit.
It will be awesome if contributors working together will also work togeter
on design summits as those increase developers involvement in the
development process.

And companies can make some special design summit things (t-shirts for ex.)
only available for the participants :) That would be great!

On Mon, Feb 8, 2016 at 1:40 AM, Amrith Kumar <amrith at tesora.com> wrote:

> Jay and others,
>

> I’m not able to understand how the decoupled events will produce the
> desired outcome. Here’s why. There will still be a limit on expenditure
> that companies will be willing to undertake. If you were to decouple the
> two events, it isn’t as though companies won’t do the “Conference and
> Expo”. That is a business focused event which they will still likely attend.
>

> When it comes time for design summit, won’t the same budget constraints be
> in place? And this time it is for a developer meeting.
>

> Jay writes, “This cost means less money to send engineers to the design
> summit to do actual work”. I very much doubt that the economics are going
> to be “Hey look, we saved X by NOT having two Conference and Expo’s a year,
> let’s spend that X on sending developers to the design summit”.
>

> Given that OpenStack is now large enough, and there are enough projects
> around, one would have to get a rather sizeable venue even for the design
> summit. And a large venue would likely end up being a large event. I’m not
> able to see how you’d get away with two events being less expensive than
> one.
>

> I fear that the consequence of this proposal will be that we’ll be forced
> to project based mid-cycle style events. A great thing about the single
> event is that you get to attend sessions from a number of projects that are
> of interest and relevant, and with project-focused events that would be
> lost entirely.
>

> -amrith

Kind Regards,
Alexander Makarov,
Senior Software Developer,

Mirantis, Inc.
35b/3, Vorontsovskaya St., 109147, Moscow, Russia

Tel.: +7 (495) 640-49-04
Tel.: +7 (926) 204-50-60

Skype: MAKAPOB.AJIEKCAHDP