[openstack-dev] Use of restricted and multiverse in the gate

Monty Taylor mordred at inaugust.com
Sun Feb 7 14:11:36 UTC 2016

Hey all,

We're working on getting per-region APT mirrors stood up for the
nodepool nodes to use in the gate. As part of working on this, it struck
me that we currently have restricted and multiverse enabled in our
sources.list file.

I ran a quick test of removing both of them on a devstack-gate change
and nothing broke, so I believe that it would be safe to remove them,
but I thought I'd check with everyone.

Quick background for folks on them - Ubuntu has 4 different 'components'
- main, universe, multiverse and restricted:

Main - Officially supported software.

Restricted - Supported software that is not available under a completely
free license.

Universe - Community maintained software, i.e. not officially supported
software.

Multiverse - Software that is not free.

Practically speaking there is nothing particularly useful to us in
Restricted or Multiverse that would cause us to need to have the
philosophical discussion about whether or not we _should_ use them -
it's mostly software for desktop users.

I mostly want to not mirror them because it's all desktop software and
that's a waste of space for us. I also think it's not terribly
appropriate for us to use non-free dependencies, and so far we have not.

Any objection to not including these in our apt mirrors?

Thanks,
Monty