[openstack-dev] [all] [tc] "No Open Core" in 2016

Thomas Goirand zigo at debian.org
Sat Feb 6 04:20:50 UTC 2016

On 02/06/2016 10:41 AM, Jay Pipes wrote:
> I'm no fan of open core. Never have been. So it irks me that Poppy can't
> work with any non-proprietary backend. But, as others have said, that
> isn't the Poppy team's fault.

I don't agree. Poppy could leverage a multi-datacneter OpenStack
deployment, and deploy a CDN using that. If Poppy's team didn't
implement it, who's fault is it?

There's *many* reverse proxies available. There's ways to account for
used bandwidth in OpenStack. There's even manila to share the published
content on multiple VMs and scale horizontally. We just need a bit of
glue around all of this, which Poppy could leverage to deploy a CDN on
top of OpenStack. But that's not the current implementation.

IMO, a middleware to access proprietary SaaS may be fully open. But it's
not OpenStack, as Sean Dague wrote.

Cheers,

Thomas Goirand (zigo)