[openstack-dev] [all] the trouble with names

gordon chung gord at live.ca
Fri Feb 5 21:00:49 UTC 2016

On 05/02/2016 1:22 PM, Ryan Brown wrote:
> For example, I think "containers" will be one of those words that
> everyone wants to use (buzzbuzzbuzzbuzz). Having at least a way for
> projects to say "hm, someone else wants this" would be nice.

too late, magnum[1] beat you to it. i'm not sure what the other docker
projects are using. plenty of alternatives though[2]?

#2 is the lesser of the evils but not by much. if we do choose it, we
need a formalised taxonomy, CADF is one example (see line 2656[3]), and
we need to be specific. it doesn't really solve the issue of projects
that do the same thing but i believe that issue is not part of the
discussion.

regarding some collisions so far, to a certain extent i believe it's
because the projects are really features masquerading as discrete
services. [disclaimer: following might be ignorant, apologies] for
something like backups, i'm not sure why it isn't a part of an existing
services api (compute|blockstorage/.../backup) and why it needs to be
it's own endpoint.

[1] https://github.com/openstack/magnum/blob/master/devstack/lib/magnum#L111
[2] http://www.thesaurus.com/browse/container?s=t
[3]