[openstack-dev] [all] the trouble with names

Tim Bell Tim.Bell at cern.ch
Fri Feb 5 20:01:28 UTC 2016

On 05/02/16 20:09, "Jay Pipes" <jaypipes at gmail.com> wrote:

>On 02/05/2016 08:38 AM, Dean Troyer wrote:
>> On Fri, Feb 5, 2016 at 7:00 AM, Chris Dent <cdent+os at anticdent.org
>> <mailto:cdent+os at anticdent.org>> wrote:
>>
>>     I think this discussion is dancing around the edges of a referendum on
>>     the "duplication" aspect of the big tent.
>>
>> It is also dancing around the separation of 'API' from
>> 'implementation'.  There is a long-standing disagreement on whether
>> OpenStack APIs can/should stand on their own, or simply be defined as
>> 'whatever project Foo implements'.
>
>I think you know my opinion on this matter :)
>
>My belief is that we should have a single curated, consistent, and
>governed OpenStack API, a reference implementation of that API, and the
>ability to have competing implementations of that API to encourage
>innovation.
>
> > We already have seen independent
>> implementations of OpenStack APIs, although not (yet?) as OpenStack
>> projects.  Duplication is already happening in the wild.
>
>I'm aware of multiple competing APIs for the same general problem space
>(Ceilometer and Monasca are the canonical example of this), but I'm not
>aware of competing implementations of identical APIs. Could you point us
>to where this has happened?

SWIFT and Ceph object stores ? There is pretty good compatibility between the two solutions such that you can advertise a Ceph object store as SWIFT and not have too many problems.

This was one of the areas of concern around the mandatory code for OpenStack trademarks. Could a cloud offer a ceph backed object store yet still obtain the OpenStack trademark ?

The decision in the management board was that a minimum set of common code was required although a future trademark of OpenStack compatible was accepted as a possibility.

Tim