[openstack-dev] [all] [tc] "No Open Core" in 2016

Mike Perez thingee at gmail.com
Fri Feb 5 18:56:40 UTC 2016

On 14:23 Feb 05, Tim Bell wrote:
> I think defining 'fully-functional' is easy enough until you allow 'vendor
> extensions' into the API.  But there is still an amount of objective criteria
> to look at to make it something that a group of, say 13 judges, might arrive
> at a reasonable answer.

I think those extensions shouldn't exist to begin with. That's another
discussion though, and a direction I think some projects are making already.

If a vendor wants to introduce anything into a project's API, there should be
some equivalent open source thing to back it up that people can try it out on.

I think more importantly the reference implementation a project chooses should
be able to use said feature, which is going to be an open source solution.

Projects like Cinder suffer from this today, and our only way of knowing if the
feature works is vendor third party CI's that use the optional tempest tests
for having the feature available in their driver.

--
Mike Perez