[openstack-dev] [all] the trouble with names

Ryan Brown rybrown at redhat.com
Fri Feb 5 17:16:54 UTC 2016

On 02/05/2016 09:08 AM, michael mccune wrote:
> On 02/04/2016 12:57 PM, Hayes, Graham wrote:
>> On 04/02/2016 15:40, Ryan Brown wrote:
[snipped lots]
>>> This isn't a perfect solution, but maybe instead of projects.yml there
>>> could be a `registry.yml` project that would (of course) have all the
>>> project.yml "in-tent" projects, but also merge in external project
>>> requests for namespaces?
>>
>> Where ever it is stored, could this be a solid place for the api-wg to
>> codify the string that should be shown in the catalog / headers /
>> other places by services?
>>

> this seems like a reasonable approach, the big downside might be
> grooming the "dibs" list. we could have projects that expect to go
> somewhere, register their name, then never achieve "lift-off". in these
> cases we would need to release those names back into the free pool.

There could be some kind of reaping process, say every January send an
email to every project with outstanding "dibs" to check that they still
exist and want that name.

I think a 1 year TTL would be a good starting spot, does that help?

[snipped more]

--
Ryan Brown / Senior Software Engineer, Openstack / Red Hat, Inc.