[openstack-dev] [grenade][keystone] Keystone multinode grenade

Morgan Fainberg morgan.fainberg at gmail.com
Fri Feb 5 16:14:09 UTC 2016

On Fri, Feb 5, 2016 at 6:06 AM, Sean Dague <sean at dague.net> wrote:

> On 02/05/2016 04:44 AM, Grasza, Grzegorz wrote:

There are currently no working tests for this and due to a lot of
discussion on the difficulty around this (extensively discussed at the
keystone midcycle), moves towards this type of support have been deferred
to Newton.

> Also, is there any time where you'd get data from Keystone new use it in
> a server, and then send it back to Keystone old, and have a validation
> issue? That seems easier to trigger edge cases at a lower level. Like an
> extra attribute is in a payload in Keystone new, and Keystone old
> faceplants with it.

The general consensus was that this is a *very* hard problem. And we may
need something like microversions before we can support mixed versions of
keystone behind a single LB. We're likely to say "you can upgrade all
running keystone code, then migrate the db, but running mixed versions wont
be supported" as a starting point.

> The reality is that standing up an HA Proxy Keystone multinode
> environment is going to be pretty extensive amount of work. And when
> things fail, digging out why, is kind of hard. However it feels like
> most of the interesting edges can be tested well at a lower level. And
> is at least worth getting those sorted before biting off the bigger thing.

++ We do need this for some other multi-node tesitng (keystone-to-keystone
auth for example). So this benefits more than the SQL-schema specifics.

--Morgan