[openstack-dev] Announcing Ekko -- Scalable block-based backup for OpenStack

Sam Yaple samuel at yaple.net
Fri Feb 5 14:58:07 UTC 2016

On Thu, Feb 4, 2016 at 2:23 PM, gordon chung <gord at live.ca> wrote:

> On 03/02/2016 10:38 AM, Sam Yaple wrote:
>
> On Wed, Feb 3, 2016 at 2:52 PM, Jeremy Stanley < <fungi at yuggoth.org>
> fungi at yuggoth.org> wrote:
>
>> On 2016-02-03 14:32:36 +0000 (+0000), Sam Yaple wrote:
>> [...]
>> > Luckily, digging into it it appears cinder already has all the
>> > infrastructure in place to handle what we had talked about in a
>> > separate email thread Duncan. It is very possible Ekko can
>> > leverage the existing features to do it's backup with no change
>> > from Cinder.
>> [...]
>>
>> <devils_advocate>If Cinder's backup facilities already do most of
>> what you want from it and there's only a little bit of development
>> work required to add the missing feature, why jump to implementing
>> this feature in a completely separate project instead rather than
>> improving Cinder's existing solution so that people who have been
>> using that can benefit directly?</devils_advocate>
>>

> Backing up Cinder was never the initial goal, just a potential feature on
> the roadmap. Nova is the main goal.
>
> i'll extend fungi's question, are the backup framework/mechanisms common
> whether it be Nova or Cinder or anything else? or are they unique but only
> grouped together as a service because they backup something. it seems the
> problem is we've imagined the service as tackling a horizontal issue when
> really it is just a vertical story that appears across many silos.

The framework would not be common even between Ekko and Cinder, and there
is no Nova "backup". The main featureset that will be utilized is CBT
(changed-block-tracking) which is needed for efficient incremental backups.
Otherwise the entire block device must be read each time a backup is
performed. The design of Ekko solves the horizontal issue of scaling
backups, there is also this vertical integration that _can_ be done to make
the whole experience more pleasant and reliable. Since Nova has no backup
mechanism this is clearly a gap and that was the issue Ekko wants to solve.
Also backuping up Cinder volumes is on the roadmap, but has not been a
stated priority.

Sam Yaple