[openstack-dev] [kolla] Location of Heka Lua plugins

Eric LEMOINE elemoine at mirantis.com
Fri Feb 5 08:14:52 UTC 2016

On Thu, Feb 4, 2016 at 5:13 PM, Jeff Peeler <jpeeler at redhat.com> wrote:
> On Thu, Feb 4, 2016 at 9:22 AM, Michał Jastrzębski <inc007 at gmail.com> wrote:
>> TLDR; +1 to have lua in tree of kolla, not sure if we want to switch later
>>
>> So I'm not so sure about switching. If these git repos are in
>> /openstack/ namespace, then sure, otherwise I'd be -1 to this, we
>> don't want to add dependency here. Also we're looking at pretty simple
>> set of files that won't change anytime soon probably. Also we might
>> introduce new service that fuel does not have, and while I'm sure we
>> can push new file to this repo, it's bigger issue than just coding it
>> in tree.
>
> I wouldn't think there'd be any opposition to having additional
> contributed Lua scripts for additional services that Fuel doesn't yet
> have. It's always easier to commit to one tree, but distinct
> components like this separated out encourages code sharing (done
> properly). I did assume that the new repo would be in the OpenStack
> namespace, but even if it weren't I'd still think a separate repo is
> best. Sure the files are small, but given the purpose of these files
> small changes could potentially have a huge impact on the logs.
>
> In summary, +1 to temporarily having the Lua scripts in tree until
> they can be properly migrated to a new repository.

I totally agree with you Jeff.

It is to be noted that we (my team at Mirantis) want to avoid
duplicating our Lua plugins, as we obviously don't want to maintain
two sets of identical plugins.  So there are mulitple reasons for
creating separate packages for these plugins: a) make it easy the
share the plugins across different projects, b) avoid maintaining
multiple sets of identical plugins, and c) avoid clobbering Kolla with
code not directly related to Kolla – for example, would you really
like to see Lua tests in Kolla and run Lua tests in the Kolla gates?
It would indeed be best to have these plugins in the OpenStack Git
namespace (as Steve Dake said), but we will have to see if that's
possible in practice.

Thank you all for your responses.