[openstack-dev] [stable] Kilo gate doesn't like testtools 2.0.0

Tony Breeds tony at bakeyournoodle.com
Fri Feb 5 06:23:08 UTC 2016

Hi All,
    Just a quick heads up that the kilo gate (and therefore anything that
relies on kilo)[1] is a little busted.

This was originally noticed in 1541879[2] and a quick cap for g-r was proposed,
however if my analysis is correct this can't land because of 1542164[3].

testtools 2.0.0 was released 2016-02-04 and has a hard requirement on on
fixtures >=1.3.0 which isn't compatible with stable/kilo's global-requirements.

We can't land an update to requirements to cap testtools as we install
testtools (2.0.0) when we install os-testr[4].  Nothing we install from git in a
typical devstack run requires testtools (it's only listed in
test-requirements.txt) so we end up with 2.0.0.

Then when we run services, the requirements kick in and balk because, as an
example, keystone requires fixtures>=0.3.14,<1.3.0 and testtools requires
fixtures>=1.3.0

The way forward is land https://review.openstack.org/276580 and
https://review.openstack.org/276275/ This will unblock the gate and buy us time
to work out the right way to make kilo, os-testr and testtools play nice.
There are a few options none are very nice and generate work at a time when the
key players are travelling.

Of course I could be way off base and there is a much easier option.

Yours Tony.

[1] liberty grenade and neutron master seems to run a bunch of *-kilo jobs
[2] https://bugs.launchpad.net/neutron/+bug/1541879
[3] https://bugs.launchpad.net/devstack/+bug/1542164
[4] As we're pip_install'ing it we don't massage the requirements to match g-r.
    We could update the gate to install os-testr from git as a work around but
    that's not what I chose to do