[openstack-dev] [all] the trouble with names

Doug Hellmann doug at doughellmann.com
Thu Feb 4 15:17:21 UTC 2016

Excerpts from Sean Dague's message of 2016-02-04 08:33:59 -0500:
> On 02/04/2016 08:18 AM, Doug Hellmann wrote:
> > Excerpts from Hayes, Graham's message of 2016-02-04 12:54:56 +0000:

> >> ++ to a central registry. It could easily be added to the projects.yaml
> >> file, and is a single source of truth.
> >
> > Although I realized that the projects.yaml file only includes official
> > projects right now, which would mean new projects wouldn't have a place
> > to register terms. Maybe that's a feature?
>
> It seems like it's a feature.
>
> That being said, projects.yaml is pretty full right now. And, it's not
> clear that common name <-> project name is a 1 to 1 mapping.
>
> For instance, Nova is getting very close to exposing a set of scheduler
> resources. For future proofing we would like to do that on a dedicated
> new endpoint from day one so that potential future split out of the code
> would not impact how APIs look in the service catalog or to consumers.
> There would be no need to have proxy apis in Nova for compatibility in
> the future.
>
> So this feels like a separate registry for service common name, which
> maps N -> 1 to a project.

We already map multiple repos to multiple deliverables to multiple
projects. So I don't think the schema concerns are a reason not to have
it in projects.yaml. That said, it doesn't *have* to be there, it would
just make it convenient to manage publication.

Doug