[openstack-dev] [all] the trouble with names

Anne Gentle annegentle at justwriteclick.com
Thu Feb 4 14:35:01 UTC 2016

On Thu, Feb 4, 2016 at 7:33 AM, Sean Dague <sean at dague.net> wrote:

> On 02/04/2016 08:18 AM, Doug Hellmann wrote:
> > Excerpts from Hayes, Graham's message of 2016-02-04 12:54:56 +0000:

> https://github.com/openstack/congress/blob/master/devstack/plugin.sh#L147

> >> ++ to a central registry. It could easily be added to the projects.yaml
> >> file, and is a single source of truth.
> >
> > Although I realized that the projects.yaml file only includes official
> > projects right now, which would mean new projects wouldn't have a place
> > to register terms. Maybe that's a feature?
>
> It seems like it's a feature.
>
> That being said, projects.yaml is pretty full right now. And, it's not
> clear that common name <-> project name is a 1 to 1 mapping.
>
> For instance, Nova is getting very close to exposing a set of scheduler
> resources. For future proofing we would like to do that on a dedicated
> new endpoint from day one so that potential future split out of the code
> would not impact how APIs look in the service catalog or to consumers.
> There would be no need to have proxy apis in Nova for compatibility in
> the future.
>
> So this feels like a separate registry for service common name, which
> maps N -> 1 to a project.

Project names should not be exposed to end users.

Maybe the service names belong in an example, vetted service catalog as a
place to look to see if your name is already taken. I sense we have to
first start with endpoints, then move to the resources, and honestly I feel
lately "let the best API design win." For example, with PayPal and Stripe,
there are differentiators that would cause a dev to choose one over
another. PayPal has a /payments resource and Stripe has a /charges
resource. Those resources are where some of the conflict is starting to be
seen for us in OpenStack with backups. If we expect end users to use the
whole cloud then we need to outline the resources that are reserved already
to avoid end-user confusion. Believe me, I document this stuff, and I know
it's difficult to understand. We have to advocate for our end users now,
today, here.

For the schedule example, is it the Compute endpoint that intakes the
scheduling operations? Or is there a new endpoint?

API design and developer experience must become our first thought.

Anne

>         -Sean
>
> --
> Sean Dague