[openstack-dev] [ironic] Third Party CI Deadlines for Mitaka and N

Mike Perez thingee at gmail.com
Wed Feb 3 22:51:55 UTC 2016

On 17:00 Nov 30, Mike Perez wrote:
> On October 28th 2015 at the Ironic Third Party CI summit session [1], there was
> consensus by the Ironic core and participating vendors that the set of
> deadlines will be:
>
> * Mitaka-2ː Driver teams will have registered their intent to run CI by creating
> system accounts and identifying a point of contact for their CI team in the
> Third party CI wiki [2].
> * Mitaka Feature Freezeː All driver systems show the ability to receive events
> and post comments in the sandbox.
> * N release feature freezeː Per patch testing and posting comments.
>
> There are requirements set for OpenStack Third Party CI's [3]. In addition
> Ironic third party CI's must:
>
> 1) Test all drivers your company has integrated in Ironic.
>
> For example, if your company has two drivers in Ironic, you would need to have
> a CI that tests against the two and reports the results for each, for every
> Ironic upstream patch. The tests come from a Devstack Gate job template [4], in
> which you just need to switch the "deploy_driver" to your driver.
>
> To get started, read OpenStack's third party testing documentation [5]. There
> are efforts by OpenStack Infra to allow others to run third party CI similar to
> the OpenStack upstream CI using Puppet [6] and instruction are available [7].
> Don't forget to register your CI in the wiki [2], there is no need to announce
> about it on any mailing list.
>
> OpenStack Infra also provides third party CI help via meetings [8], and the
> Ironic team has designated people to answer questions with setting up a third
> party CI in the #openstack-ironic room [9].
>
> If a solution does not have a CI watching for events and posting comments to
> the sandbox [10] by the Mitaka feature freeze, it'll be assumed the driver is
> not active, and can be removed from the Ironic repository as of the Mitaka
> release.
>
> If a solution is not being tested in a CI system and reporting to OpenStack
> gerrit Ironic patches by the deadline of the N release feature freeze, an
> Ironic driver could be removed from the Ironic repository. Without a CI system,
> Ironic core is unable to verify your driver works in the N release of Ironic.
>
> If there is something not clear about this email, please email me *directly*
> with your question. You can also reach me as thingee on Freenode IRC in the
> #openstack-ironic channel. Again I want you all to be successful in this, and
> take advantage of this testing you will have with your product. Please
> communicate with me and reach out to the team for help.
>
> [1] - https://etherpad.openstack.org/p/summit-mitaka-ironic-third-party-ci
> [2] - https://wiki.openstack.org/wiki/ThirdPartySystems
> [3] - http://docs.openstack.org/infra/system-config/third_party.html#requirements
> [4] - https://github.com/openstack-infra/project-config/blob/master/jenkins/jobs/devstack-gate.yaml#L961
> [5] - http://docs.openstack.org/infra/system-config/third_party.html
> [...]

Hi all,

Just a reminder that M-2 has passed and all Ironic drivers at this point should
have a service account [1] registered in the third party CI wiki [2] per our
agreed spec [3] for bringing third party CI support in Ironic.

If you are being cc'd directly on this email, it's because you're known as
being a maintainer of a driver, and have been previously contacted on November
30th 2016 about this.

By not having a service account registered for the M-2 deadline, you are
expressing the driver is inactive in the Ironic project and therefore the team
will be unable to verify your driver works.

As expressed in the quoted email, if your driver has no CI reporting in the
sandbox by Mitaka feature freeze, it can be removed in Mitaka.

Please use the resources provided by getting help in the third party CI help
meeting [4] that meets twice a week and different time zones. Also see the
Ironic third party CI information page [5].  Thanks!

[1] - http://docs.openstack.org/infra/system-config/third_party.html#creating-a-service-account
[2] - https://wiki.openstack.org/wiki/ThirdPartySystems
[3] - http://specs.openstack.org/openstack/ironic-specs/specs/not-implemented/third-party-ci.html
[4] - https://wiki.openstack.org/wiki/Meetings/ThirdParty