[openstack-dev] Announcing Ekko -- Scalable block-based backup for OpenStack

Duncan Thomas duncan.thomas at gmail.com
Wed Feb 3 14:37:31 UTC 2016

On 3 February 2016 at 16:32, Sam Yaple <samuel at yaple.net> wrote:

> Looking into it, however, shows Cinder has no mechanism to delete backups
> in the middle of a chain since you use dependent backups (please correct me
> if I am wrong here). This means after a number of incremental backups you
> _must_ take another full to ensure the chain doesn't get to long. That is a
> problem Ekko is purposing to solve as well. Full backups are costly in
> terms of IO, storage, bandwidth and time. A full backup being required in a
> backup plan is a big problem for backups when we talk about volumes that
> are terabytes large.

You're right that this is an issue currently. Cinder actually has enough
info in theory to be able to trivially squash backups to be able to break
the chain, it's only a bit of metadata ref counting and juggling, however
nobody has yet written the code.

> Luckily, digging into it it appears cinder already has all the
> infrastructure in place to handle what we had talked about in a separate
> email thread Duncan. It is very possible Ekko can leverage the existing
> features to do it's backup with no change from Cinder. This isn't the
> initial priority for Ekko though, but it is good information to have. Thank
> you for your comments!

Always interested in better ways to solve backup.

--
Duncan Thomas