[openstack-dev] [Cinder] the spec of Add-ServiceGroup-using-Tooz

Michał Dulko michal.dulko at intel.com
Mon Feb 1 21:14:10 UTC 2016

On 01/31/2016 10:43 PM, dong.wenjuan at zte.com.cn wrote:

> Hi all,
>
>     I proposed the spec of Add-ServiceGroup-using-Tooz in Ciner[1].
>
>     Project doctor[2] in OPNFV community is its upstream.
>     The goal of this project is to build fault management and
> maintenance framework for high availability of Network Services on top
> of virtualized infrastructure.
>     The key feature is immediate notification of unavailability of
> virtualized resources from VIM, to process recovery of VNFs on them.
>
>     But in Cinder, the service reports it's status with a delay. So I
> proposed adding Tooz as cinder ServiceGroup driver to report the
> service states without a dely.
>
>     I'm a new in Cinder. :) So I wants to invite some Cinder exports
> to discuss the spec in the doctor's weekly meeting at 14:00 on Tuesday
> this week. Is anyone interested in it? Thanks~
>
> [1]https://review.openstack.org/#/c/258968/
> [2]https://wiki.opnfv.org/doctor

So basically doctor wants to know state of Cinder services as soon as
possible, right? Why use cinder to inform of its own services then? What
if cinder-api service is down?

If your use case is monitoring of services state, then what prevents you
from using some external monitoring tools for that purpose? Or even a
combination of both external monitoring tool and Cinder service-group API?