[openstack-dev] Announcing Ekko -- Scalable block-based backup for OpenStack

Preston L. Bannister preston at bannister.us
Mon Feb 1 20:23:09 UTC 2016

Hi Fausto,

To be clear, I am not in any way critical of Freezer and the folk putting
in work. (Please, I want to be *entirely* clear on this point! Also, saw
your presentation in Vancouver.)

That said, Freezer is a bit of a Swiss-Army-Knife set of combined backup
functions. Sometimes it is better to focus on a single aspect (or few). The
new features landing in QEMU present an opportunity. A project focused
solely on that opportunity, to work through initial set of issues, makes a
lot of sense to me. (Something like how KVM forked QEMU for a time, to
build faster x86 emulation.)

I do not see these as competing projects, and more as cooperative. The Ekko
work should be able to plug into Freezer, cleanly.

Aspects of the problem, as I see:

   1. Extracting efficient instance backups from OpenStack (via new QEMU
   function).
   2. Storing backups in efficient form (general implementation, and
   vendor-specific supersets).
   3. Offering an OpenStack backup-service API, with core and
   vendor-specific extensions.

Vendors (like my employer, EMC) might be somewhat opinionated about (2),
and for reason. :)

The huge missing piece is (1), and a focused project seems to make a lot of
sense.

As to (3), that looks like a good topic for further discussion. :)

My $.02.