[openstack-dev] [kolla] Collaboration between kolla and Helm upstream

Steven Dake (stdake) stdake at cisco.com
Fri Dec 23 16:23:33 UTC 2016

Hey folks,

Brandon Jozsa was kind enough to get some collaboration going between the OpenStack Kolla community and the Helm community within CNCF.  My hope out of this effort is to build bridges between the OpenStack foundation and CNCF hosted by the Linux Foundation.  We are starting small, by using common tools available in each foundation that are inclusive and allow, for example, China – which is likely 1/4th of Kolla’s contributor base and possibly a larger number of consumers of Kolla’s work product to participate by not using tools that are unavailable in China.

The start of this work is here:
https://etherpad.openstack.org/p/openstack-helm

Some folks did hold a meeting Wednesday with a few folks from Helm.  The meeting was recorded but not yet in the Etherpad.  This meeting doesn’t violate the 4 opens because we were operating within Helm’s upstream processes which include the use of zoom.us, not google.com.  That said, Helm seems receptive and warm to the idea of working within the 4 Opens OpenStack operates under.  I expect Michal will post the meeting minutes and a recording of the video when it is available.

I’d also invite those folks interested in crossing the bridge to join the #helm channel on slack at http://kubernetes.slack.io (iirc). If that is incorrect, I’m sure someone can follow up with the correct location for slack.

Cheers and happy holidays to all that have em ☺
-steve