[openstack-dev] [all] Adding CONTRIBUTING.rst files to projects

Doug Hellmann doug at doughellmann.com
Thu Dec 22 14:32:28 UTC 2016

Excerpts from Ian Cordasco's message of 2016-12-22 06:46:29 -0600:

> There is some ambiguity right now with projects as to where to put
> easy-to-find documentation (even if it is just a brief paragraph with
> a link to longer-form documentation) into our repositories. Let's
> focus on that discussion here. We can come up with a productive
> conclusion and work with this contributor. While you've chosen (and
> yes, you've chosen this) to have a negative assumption about this
> contributor's efforts, I've chosen to believe they're looking to fill
> a gap. Increasing the productivity of new contributors to OpenStack is
> a positive improvement for our community. It may not fix a bug or add
> a feature, but it helps ramp up the people who will do that.

I thought we started adding these contributing files specifically
because of how they are rendered on github, as a way to try to prevent
folks from submitting pull requests there and then having them rejected
by the bot. It seemed more positive to give direction ahead of time than
through a rejection message.

Doug