[openstack-dev] [neutron] Where will Neutron go in future?

Michael Johnson johnsomor at gmail.com
Wed Dec 21 02:11:29 UTC 2016

Hi Zhi,

LBaaSv2 as an API will live on.

We are in the process of merging that API into the octavia repository
to merge the two load balancing projects into one and remove our
dependency on the neutron API process/endpoint.

Functionally it is our goal to allow the LBaaSv2 API to continue to
function for users.  For some period of time we will maintain a
pass-through proxy so that calls to the neutron API endpoint will
continue to function as they do today.  In addition, we will be
advertising the octavia endpoint and it will be compatible with the
current LBaaSv2 API.  Over time users can switch the endpoint they use
for LBaaSv2 calls from the neutron endpoint and they will continue to
operate as expected.

As part of this compatibility, the current LBaaSv2 drivers will move
behind the octavia API process as opposed to the current neutron API
process.  The legacy haproxy-namespace driver and the octavia (haproxy
based as well) driver will continue to exist for some time, though we
would like to deprecate the legacy haproxy-namespace driver.

Given the progress we have made up to Ocata-2, I expect Ocata will
release with the same configuration as Newton.  We will have the
LBaaSv2 API in place in octavia, but the driver and pass through work
will not be complete in time.  This means you will continue to use the
neutron endpoint to access neutron-lbaas drivers as you do today.

Michael