[openstack-dev] [osc][openstackclient][zun] Collision on the keyword 'container'

Hongbin Lu hongbin.lu at huawei.com
Tue Dec 20 21:00:03 UTC 2016

Hi OpenStackClients Team,

I am from the Zun team, and my team encountered a name collision issue when implementing a OSC plugin [1]. We wanted to use the keyword 'container' to represent a linux container used to host a containerized application. In particular, the commands our contributor wanted to implement was listed in the etherpad [2]. Unfortunately, this keyword has already been taken in OSC, so we need to figure out a short-term walk round and a long-term solution. Below are the short-term solution I can think of:

* openstack appcontainer <action> <args>
* openstack linuxcontainer <action> <args>
* openstack zun container <action> <args>
* openstack containerservice container <action> <args>
* openstack containermgmt container <action> <args>

In the long-term, I am going to propose to follow the style of AWS CLI, that is prefixing each command with a project name. For example:

$ openstack swift container <action> <args>
$ openstack zun container <action> <args>
$ openstack barbican container <action> <args>

Or

$ openstack objectstore container <action> <args>
$ openstack container container <action> <args>
$ openstack secret container <action> <args>

Thoughts?

[1] https://review.openstack.org/#/c/411786/
[2] https://etherpad.openstack.org/p/zunclient_openstack-client-cli

Best regards,