[openstack-dev] [all] Creating a new IRC meeting room ?

Flavio Percoco flavio at redhat.com
Fri Dec 16 13:52:18 UTC 2016

On 07/12/16 14:29 +0100, Thierry Carrez wrote:
>Dolph Mathews wrote:
>> [...]
>> I think it honestly reflects our current breakdown of contributors &
>> collaboration. The artificial scarcity model only helps a vocal minority
>> with cross-project focus, and just results in odd meeting times for the
>> majority of projects that don't hold primetime meeting slots.
>>
>> While I don't think we should do away with meetings rooms, if a project
>> wants to hold meetings at a convenient time in their normal channel, I
>> think that's fine. Meeting conflicts will always exist. Major conflicts
>> will be resolved without the additional pressure of artificial scarcity.
>
>I tend to agree with that. Like I said in my intro, we may be past the
>point where the artificial scarcity model is hurting us more than it
>helps us.
>
>So how about:
>- we enable an #openstack-meeting-5 to instantly relieve scheduling pressure
>- we allow teams to hold meetings in their project channel if they want
>to (and show them all on the meeting agenda through the irc-meetings
>repo) as long as the channel is logged
>- we still generally recommend to use meeting rooms whenever possible,
>so that you can benefit from outside presence and easy mentions/pings
>- we will proactively add additional meeting rooms when the resource
>becomes scarce again

>- Once the change is in place, we could also limit official meeting room
>usage to official projects (since non-official projects can hold a
>meeting in their own room and still have it mentioned on the agenda)
>- If we remove artificial scarcity, we could discontinue the
>#openstack-meeting-cp channel (which was created to facilitate the
>scheduling of  cross-project temporary meetings) and just tell
>cross-project initiatives to use the regular channels
>
>Comments, thoughts ?

All the above sounds good although, I'm honestly starting to consider that we
should just encourage meetings to be held in channels and use `#openstack-dev`
for quick pings and invites.

I normally lurk in several meeting channels and although I am indeed pingged
sometimes, I feel like the same could be achieved by just pinging me on
#openstack-dev

We can still list these meetings in a central repo. One downside that I see is
that the chance for overlaps is higher, which may be a problem for folks that
participate in several meetings.

Flavio

--
@flaper87