[openstack-dev] Golang technical requirements

Jeremy Stanley fungi at yuggoth.org
Thu Dec 15 17:55:02 UTC 2016

On 2016-12-14 17:49:46 -0600 (-0600), Monty Taylor wrote:
[...]
> For things we generate in pbr - like AUTHORS and ChangeLog - assuming we
> want to do the same thing in go, we could likely come up with something
> similar. I also think we should consider that perhaps those two files
> are not needed if the primary expectation for distribution is git.

Completely agree on this point. We auto-generate those two files in
particular as a means for us to export data from our revision
control system (specifically data which is not normally represented
in the file content under revision control) such that it can be
conveyed within a tarball that would otherwise lack the relevant
context to derive it.

Some teams do hand-create those files instead and check them into
revision control, but could of course continue to do so in Git repos
of Go code as well with no real change to their usual process.
--
Jeremy Stanley