[openstack-dev] Golang technical requirements

Doug Hellmann doug at doughellmann.com
Wed Dec 14 13:46:20 UTC 2016

[Sending again due to mail delivery issues.]

Excerpts from Dean Troyer's message of 2016-12-13 12:45:07 -0600:
> Release Deliverables
>
> OpenStack still officially considers the tarballs generated during the
> release rpocess to be our official deliverable.  Many downstream
> consumers, however, bypass those and go directly to the tagged
> releases in the Git repos.  The Golang community has no real culture
> of using tarballs at all, given the 'go get' functionality bult in to
> the tooling directly for checking out remote repos.  One obvious
> shortcoming in just defining the release to be Git repo tags is our
> use of generated files.

FWIW, some of the deployment tool communities (ansible and puppet,
I think) rely on git repos without external artifacts, and we're
supporting them in our release tools today. I'm not sure how
downstream packagers feel about the lack of external artifacts.

I think I would be satisfied to see tags, even if we do not build
artifacts from them. We can still run other parts of the release
process, such as building release notes and documentation with the
version number.

Were you thinking of files other than the tarball when you say
"generated files"?

Doug