[openstack-dev] [TripleO] Network Configuration in TripleO UI

Dan Sneddon dsneddon at redhat.com
Tue Dec 13 17:15:45 UTC 2016

On 12/08/2016 08:10 PM, Jason Rist wrote:
> [...]
>>>

>>> Any comments to this proposal are very welcome, please note that I am
>>> not a networking expert so I might be missing something.
>>>
>>> There is a spec [7] in progress aimed for Ocata, but the feature will
>>> highly probably not land in Ocata, so we'll need to update the spec and
>>> move it to next cycle.
>>>

>>> [1]
>>> http://blog.nemebean.com/content/tripleo-network-isolation-template-generator
>>>
>>> [2] https://github.com/openstack/tripleo-heat-templates
>>> [3]
>>> https://github.com/openstack/tripleo-heat-templates/blob/master/environments/network-environment.yaml
>>>
>>> [4]
>>> https://github.com/openstack/tripleo-heat-templates/blob/master/environments/network-isolation.yaml
>>>
>>> [5] https://openstack.invisionapp.com/share/UM87J4NBQ#/screens/179046668
>>> [6] https://openstack.invisionapp.com/share/UM87J4NBQ#/screens/179046679
>>> [7] https://review.openstack.org/#/c/396383/
>>>
>>> Thanks
>>> Jirka

>> Jirka,
>>
>> Thanks for putting this together, I think this is a great summary of
>> the issue and a good thing to discuss.
>>
>> I have done put some thought into how we might convert the existing
>> YAML NIC config templates to Jinja. Most of the templates are pretty
>> modular if you look closely. For instance, working from the
>> bond-with-vlans templates, the bridge definition is the same for all nodes:
>>
>>       - type: ovs_bridge
>>         name: bridge_name
>>         dns_servers:
>>           get_param: DnsServers
>>         members:
>>         - type: ovs_bond
>>           name: bond1
>>           ovs_options:
>>             get_param: BondInterfaceOvsOptions
>>           members:
>>           - type: interface
>>             name: nic2
>>             primary: true
>>           - type: interface
>>             name: nic3
>>
>> Then, we have each of the VLANs, which can be enabled or disabled based
>> on whether a network is enabled or not on a node. For instance, the
>> external network might be defined like this:
>>
>> {% if role.has_net_external %}
>>         - type: vlan
>>           device: bond1
>>           vlan_id:
>>             get_param: ExternalNetworkVlanID
>>           addresses:
>>           - ip_netmask:
>>               get_param: ExternalIpSubnet
>>   {% if role.default_route_network == 'external' }
>>           routes:
>>           - default: true
>>             next_hop:
>>               get_param: ExternalInterfaceDefaultRoute
>>   {% endif %}
>> {% endif %}
>>
>> (note that there might be a better way to test for the external
>> network, consider the above psuedo-code)
>>
>> The drawback to this approach is that we need a different template for

We would probably want at least as many as we have currently:
single-nic-vlans, single-nic-linux-bridge-vlans, bond-with-vlans, and
multiple NICs.

We could add other topologies, such as two bonds, but at a certain
point I think we need to recognize that we can't cover every possible
physical topology. I think we just need to demonstrate how to create
the physical NIC config template, and the deployer can work from the
samples to develop a custom config.

--
Dan Sneddon         |  Senior Principal OpenStack Engineer
dsneddon at redhat.com |  redhat.com/openstack