[openstack-dev] [ironic] iscsi-deploy vs agent-deploy comparison

Pavlo Shchelokovskyy pshchelokovskyy at mirantis.com
Tue Dec 13 11:52:14 UTC 2016

Hi all,

recent comments in some of my patches hinted me that I might be missing
some understanding of ironic workings, so I'd like to ask the following
question:

What features/possibilities the iscsi-deploy currently has that
agent-deploy has not (for example comparing pxe_ipmitool and agent_ipmitool
drivers)?

The only thing I'm aware of is that agent-deploy requires user images to be
accessible over clean no-auth HTTP from inside provisioning network (and in
integrated deployment that means swift as glance backend) while
iscsi-deploy does not need this (works with arbitrary glance backend / not
reachable from provisioning network).

Are there other advantages of iscsi-deploy compared to agent-deploy?

Best regards,
Dr. Pavlo Shchelokovskyy
Senior Software Engineer
Mirantis Inc