[openstack-dev] [cinder] drbdmanage is no more GPL2

Dulko, Michal michal.dulko at intel.com
Mon Dec 12 09:22:54 UTC 2016

On Mon, 2016-12-12 at 07:58 +0100, Mehdi Abaakouk wrote:

Hi,

I have recently seen that drbdmanage python library is no more GPL2 but
need a end user license agreement [1].

Is this compatible with the driver policy of Cinder ?

[1] http://git.drbd.org/drbdmanage.git/commitdiff/441dc6a96b0bc6a08d2469fa5a82d97fc08e8ec1

<http://git.drbd.org/drbdmanage.git/commitdiff/441dc6a96b0bc6a08d2469fa5a82d97fc08e8ec1

Regards>

Issues with licensing are mostly around possibilities of including the official driver in any OpenStack distro. It seems to me that following statement in the new license prohibits that for drdbmanage:

3.4) Without prior written consent of LICENSOR or an authorized partner,
LICENSEE is not allowed to:

<snip>

b) provide commercial turn-key solutions based on the LICENSED SOFTWARE or
commercial services for the LICENSED SOFTWARE or its modifications to any
third party (e.g. software support or trainings).

I think we need to collect feedback from distro vendors and DRDB team and then decide if we should remove the driver from Cinder.