[openstack-dev] [neutron] trunk api performance and scale measurments

Armando M. armamig at gmail.com
Fri Dec 9 04:55:11 UTC 2016

On 5 December 2016 at 07:59, Bence Romsics <bence.romsics at gmail.com> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I measured how the new trunk API scales with lots of subports. You can
> find the results here:
>
> https://wiki.openstack.org/wiki/Neutron_Trunk_API_Performance_and_Scaling
>
> Hope you find it useful. There are several open ends, let me know if
> you're interested in following up some of them.

I looked into [1] a little bit as it bothered me :)

Here's my findings:

   - openstack port list is slower than neutron port-list as it looks like
   the command goes to Nova first [2], which is where the overhead comes from.
   - when you have subports the port-list response gets bigger because of
   the bigger response due to the trunk-details extension.
   - However, the bulk of the time is spent in [3], when building the
   payload for a port involved as a parent port. In no other case you will see
   the overhead as in no other case the loop over subports is executed.

The hook should be optimized!

Cheers,
Armando

[1] https://wiki.openstack.org/wiki/Neutron_Trunk_API_
Performance_and_Scaling#surprise_effect_on_filtered_port_listings
[2] http://paste.openstack.org/show/591882/
[3]
https://github.com/openstack/neutron/blob/master/neutron/services/trunk/plugin.py#L42