[openstack-dev] [all] Creating a new IRC meeting room ?

Ian Cordasco sigmavirus24 at gmail.com
Wed Dec 7 18:14:06 UTC 2016

-----Original Message-----
From: Thierry Carrez <thierry at openstack.org>
Date: December 7, 2016 at 07:30:40
To: openstack-dev at lists.openstack.org <openstack-dev at lists.openstack.org>
Subject:  Re: [openstack-dev] [all] Creating a new IRC meeting room ?

> Dolph Mathews wrote:
> > [...]
> > I think it honestly reflects our current breakdown of contributors &
> > collaboration. The artificial scarcity model only helps a vocal minority
> > with cross-project focus, and just results in odd meeting times for the
> > majority of projects that don't hold primetime meeting slots.
> >
> > While I don't think we should do away with meetings rooms, if a project
> > wants to hold meetings at a convenient time in their normal channel, I
> > think that's fine. Meeting conflicts will always exist. Major conflicts
> > will be resolved without the additional pressure of artificial scarcity.
>
> I tend to agree with that. Like I said in my intro, we may be past the
> point where the artificial scarcity model is hurting us more than it
> helps us.
>
> So how about:
> - we enable an #openstack-meeting-5 to instantly relieve scheduling pressure
> - we allow teams to hold meetings in their project channel if they want
> to (and show them all on the meeting agenda through the irc-meetings
> repo) as long as the channel is logged
> - we still generally recommend to use meeting rooms whenever possible,
> so that you can benefit from outside presence and easy mentions/pings
> - we will proactively add additional meeting rooms when the resource
> becomes scarce again

So I'm all for non-official projects using their own channels for meetings. My only wish (as someone working on a non-official project) would be that we could use meeting bot the same way we would in a meeting channel. If it requires standing up additional instances of the meeting bot, I think it's fair for the companies sponsoring those projects to help openstack-infra with that, and I'd be willing to throw my own time in there for that too if necessary.

> - Once the change is in place, we could also limit official meeting room
> usage to official projects (since non-official projects can hold a
> meeting in their own room and still have it mentioned on the agenda)
> - If we remove artificial scarcity, we could discontinue the
> #openstack-meeting-cp channel (which was created to facilitate the
> scheduling of cross-project temporary meetings) and just tell
> cross-project initiatives to use the regular channels

I think there's still value in #openstack-meeting-cp, but I don't feel strongly enough to argue against its removal.

--
Ian Cordasco