[openstack-dev] [neutron] Vlan aware VMs or trunking

Armando M. armamig at gmail.com
Tue Dec 6 17:08:34 UTC 2016

On 6 December 2016 at 08:49, Vasyl Saienko <vsaienko at mirantis.com> wrote:

> Hello Neutron Community,
>

> I've found that nice feature vlan-aware-vms was implemented in Newton [0].
> However the usage of this feature for regular users is impossible, unless
> I'm missing something.
>
> As I understood correctly it should work in the following way:
>
>    1. It is possible to group neutron ports to trunks.
>    2. When trunk is created parent port should be defined:
>    Only one port can be parent.
>    segmentation of parent port is set as native or untagged vlan on the
>    trunk.
>    3. Other ports may be added as subports to existing trunk.
>    When subport is added to trunk *segmentation_type* and *segmentation_id
>    *should be specified.
>    segmentation_id of subport is set as allowed vlan on the trunk
>
> Non-admin user do not know anything about *segmentation_type* and
> *segmentation_id.*

Segmentation type and ID are used to multiplex/demultiplex traffic in/out
of the guest associated to a particular trunk. Aside the fact that the only
supported type is VLAN at the moment (if ever), the IDs are user provided
to uniquely identify the traffic coming in/out of the trunked networks so
that it can reach the appropriate vlan interface within the guest. The
documentation [1] is still in flight, but it clarifies this point.

HTH
Armando

[1] https://review.openstack.org/#/c/361776