[openstack-dev] [neutron] Vlan aware VMs or trunking

Vasyl Saienko vsaienko at mirantis.com
Tue Dec 6 16:49:30 UTC 2016

Hello Neutron Community,

I've found that nice feature vlan-aware-vms was implemented in Newton [0].
However the usage of this feature for regular users is impossible, unless
I'm missing something.

As I understood correctly it should work in the following way:

   1. It is possible to group neutron ports to trunks.
   2. When trunk is created parent port should be defined:
   Only one port can be parent.
   segmentation of parent port is set as native or untagged vlan on the
   trunk.
   3. Other ports may be added as subports to existing trunk.
   When subport is added to trunk *segmentation_type* and
*segmentation_id *should
   be specified.
   segmentation_id of subport is set as allowed vlan on the trunk

Non-admin user do not know anything about *segmentation_type* and
*segmentation_id.* So it is strange that those fields are mandatory when
subport is added to trunk. Furthermore they may conflict with port's
network segmentation_id and type. Why we can't inherit segmentation_type
and segmentation_id from network settings of subport?