[openstack-dev] [Kuryr][Magnum] How stable is kuryr-kubernetes?

Antoni Segura Puimedon celebdor at gmail.com
Tue Dec 6 16:18:52 UTC 2016

On Tue, Dec 6, 2016 at 9:10 AM, Mikhail Fedosin <mfedosin at gmail.com> wrote:

> Hi folks!

Hi Mikhail!

> We at Samsung are trying to integrate containers in OpenStack and at this
> moment we are looking at Kubernetes deployed by Magnum, which works good
> enough for now.
>
> One challenge we have faced recently is making containers able to
> communicate with Nova VM instances (in other words we want to integrate
> Neutron in Kubernetes) and Kuryr seems to be a right solution (based on its
> description). Unfortunately there is a lack of documentation, but from
> various presentations on youtube I got that kuryr has been split in two
> projects (kuryr-libnetwork for Docker Swarm and kuryr-kubernetes for
> Kubernetes respectively, and they both share a common library called
> "kuryr").

That's exactly right!

> kuryr-libnetwork continues previous works, which the community has been
> implementing for over a year. It looks stable, nevertheless it doesn't work
> with the latest Docker 1.12.

It works with 1.12, but not with 1.12's Swarm mode, since that is hardcoded
to use Docker's overlay driver, that is expected to change.

> kuryr-kubernetes is rather new, and I wonder if it can be already used (at
> least on devstack), or maybe some further efforts are required.

We have a previous python3 (and lbaasv1) only prototype that can be used to
test how it all works:

 https://github.com/midonet/kuryr/tree/k8s

With kuryr-kubernetes we are now reaching the stage to have services
supported again (they were supported in the above prototype). There is
devstack for

https://github.com/openstack/kuryr-kubernetes

The current state is that CNI patch [1] is about to be merged and the
service watchers should come in soon.

> Then please enlighten me about current status of Magnum-Kuryr integration.
> I saw that this was discussed in Barcelona and Austin, but in Magnum's
> master it's still unavailable. Also it will be great if you point at the
> responsible person with whom I can discuss it more detailed and see how I
> can be involved in the development.

For Magnum integration we have to move kuryr-libnetwork's container-in-vm
support[2][3] (that is being merged this week) to kuryr-kubernetes (which
only supports bare-metal binding right now). Once that is done, work can
begin on Magnum using it in either  macvlan, ipvlan, vlan mode (there's two
modes here, one container - one vlan, and one subnet, one vlan).

You can reach out to apuimedo (me), ivc_, irenab or vikasc about
kuryr-kubernetes and the same plus ltomasbo, lmdaly and mchiappero about
the container-in-vm.

Regards,

Toni

[1] https://review.openstack.org/#/c/404038/