[openstack-dev] [keystone] Custom ProjectID upon creation

Andrey Grebennikov agrebennikov at mirantis.com
Mon Dec 5 18:20:49 UTC 2016

Hi keystoners,
I'd like to open the discussion about the little feature which I'm trying
to push forward for a while but I need some feedbacks/opinions/concerns
regarding this.
Here is the review I'm talking about https://review.
openstack.org/#/c/403866/

What I'm trying to cover is multi-region deployment, which includes
geo-distributed cloud with independent Keystone in every region.

There is a number of use cases for the change:
1. Allow users to re-use their tokens in all regions across the distributed
cloud. With global authentication (LDAP backed) and same roles names this
is only one missing piece which prevents the user to switch between regions
even withing single Horizon session.
2. Automated tools responsible for statistics collection may access all
regions using one token (real customer's usecase)
3. Glance replication may happen because the images' parameter "owner"
(which is a project) should be consistent across the regions.

What I hear all time - "you have to replicate your database" which from the
devops/deployment/operations perspective is totally wrong approach.
If it is possible to avoid Galera replication over geographically
distributed regions - then API calls should be used. Moreover, in case of 2
DCs there will be an issue to decide which region has to take over when
they are isolated from each other.

There is a long conversation in the comments of the review, mainly with
concerns from cores (purely developer's opinions).

Please help me to bring it to life ;)

PS I'm so sorry, forgot to create a topic in the original message

--
Andrey Grebennikov
Principal Deployment Engineer