[openstack-dev] [all] Creating a new IRC meeting room ?

Matt Riedemann mriedem at linux.vnet.ibm.com
Fri Dec 2 20:42:31 UTC 2016

On 12/2/2016 8:38 AM, Amrith Kumar wrote:
> Thierry, when we were adding the #openstack-swg group, we had this
> conversation and I observed that my own preference would be for a project's
> meetings to be in that projects room. It makes it easier to then search for
> logs for something (say SWG related) in the SWG room, and I do this
> regularly for Trove but I have to store text logs of the trove meetings (in
> #openstack-meeting-alt) with the logs of the trove room #openstack-trove.
>
> While I understand the simplicity of just hanging around in four or five
> conference rooms and being available for pings I submit to you that if
> someone wants to ping you and you are not in that projects room, they know
> where to go find you if you are a person who hangs around.
>
> So I submit to you that rather than creating #openstack-meeting-5, let's
> outlaw the meeting rooms altogether and allow projects to meet in their own
> rooms. And people who are interested in projects can hang out in those rooms
> (which people do quite a bit anyway), and others who just hangout in
> #openstack or #openstack-dev or #openstack-infra.
>
> -amrith

I tend to agree with Amrith here. If there are smaller projects/teams,
then I'm not sure why they can't just have a meeting in their channel,
unless it's an issue for the meeting bot?

But like we recently talked about the stable team meetings, we don't
really need to be in a separate -alt room for those when we have the
channel and anyone that cares about stable enough to be in the meeting
is already in that channel, but sometimes the people in that channel
forget about the meeting or which of the 20 alt rooms it's being held
in, so they miss it (or Tony is biking down a volcano and we just don't
have a meeting).

I'm only lurking in #openstack-meeting because of a rare ping, or
mention, and I *MUST* be present to defend my honor, else I wouldn't be
in there.

Matt Riedemann