[openstack-dev] [nova] cells v2 next steps

Matt Riedemann mriedem at linux.vnet.ibm.com
Wed Aug 31 18:44:44 UTC 2016

Just to recap a call with Laski, Sean and Dan, the goal for the next 24
hours with cells v2 is to get this nova change landed:

https://review.openstack.org/#/c/356138/

That depends on a set of grenade changes:

https://review.openstack.org/#/q/topic:setup_cell0_before_migrations

There are similar devstack changes to those:

https://review.openstack.org/#/q/topic:cell0_db

cell0 is optional in newton, so we don't want to add a required change
in grenade that forces an upgrade to newton to require cell0.

And since cell0 is optional in newton, we don't want devstack in newton
running with cell0 in all jobs.

So the plan is for Dan (or someone) to add a flag to devstack, mirrored
in grenade, that will be used to conditionally create the cell0 database
and run the simple_cell_setup command.

Then I'm going to set that flag in devstack-gate and from select jobs in
project-config, so one of the grenade jobs (either single node or
multi-node grenade), and then the placement-api job which is non-voting
in the nova check queue and is our new dumping ground for running
optional things, like the placement service and cell0.

Matt Riedemann