[openstack-dev] [neutron][devstack][all] Deprecation of external_network_bridge and CI impact

Sean M. Collins sean at coreitpro.com
Wed Aug 31 14:33:18 UTC 2016

Hi,

This probably should have been advertised more widely, before the merge
happened. I would like to apologize for an after-the-fact e-mail
explaining what may be going on for some jobs that are broken.

I recently merged a change to DevStack -
https://review.openstack.org/346282

It's a little cryptic since it's a revert-of-a-revert. However, if you
take a look at the original commit[1], you can get an idea of what is
going on.

Basically, we were relying on a deprecated setting in Neutron that has
been deprecated since liberty[2]. Post 346282, we no longer use that
deprecated setting and instead are creating networks the "correct" way.

Some jobs that were relying on provider attributes for their networking
may be seeing some errors similar to what has happened to Shade[3].
Basically Shade was trying to create a public network using the same
provider attributes, that post 346282, we now create during a DevStack
run[4].

I know jroll is currently also trying to figure out how to unblock
Ironic's CI, since they too were using the provider networking API
extension. I imagine there may be some other jobs that are broken
(networking-generic-switch seems to be very sensitive), so please take a
look at the links and hopefully that will help.

[1]: https://review.openstack.org/#/c/343072/

[2]: https://bugs.launchpad.net/neutron/+bug/1511578

[3]: http://logs.openstack.org/01/362901/1/check/gate-shade-dsvm-functional-neutron/9698d83/console.html#_2016-08-30_18_56_58_838512

[4]: http://logs.openstack.org/01/362901/1/check/gate-shade-dsvm-functional-neutron/9698d83/logs/devstacklog.txt.gz#_2016-08-30_18_46_38_671