[openstack-dev] [all][massively distributed][architecture]Coordination between actions/WGs

Joshua Harlow harlowja at fastmail.com
Mon Aug 29 20:15:46 UTC 2016

Curtis wrote:
> On Mon, Aug 29, 2016 at 1:27 PM, gordon chung<gord at live.ca>  wrote:
>> just to clarify, what 'innovation' do you believe is required to enable you
>> to build on top of OpenStack. what are the feature gaps you are proposing?
>> let's avoid defining "the cloud" since that will give you 1000 different
>> answers if you ask 1000 different people.*
>
> One idea I hear fairly often is having a couple of hypervisors in say
> a single store or some other customer premise, but not wanting to also
> run an OpenStack control plane there. If we are talking about a
> hypervisor level, not some other unknown but smaller IoTs...uh thing,
> does that make more sense from a OpenStack + vCPE context? Or do some
> think that is out of scope for OpenStack's mission as well?
>
> Thanks,
> Curtis.

<snip>

So is that like making a customer premise have the equivalent of dumb
terminals (maybe we can call them 'semi-smart' terminals) where those
things basically can be remote controlled (aka the VMs on them can be
upgraded or downgraded or deleted or ...) by the corporate (or other)
entity that is controlling those terminals?

If that's the case, then I don't exactly call that a cloud (in my
classical sense), but more of a software delivery (and remote-control)
strategy (and using nova to do this for u?).

But then I don't know all the 3 or 4 letter acronyms so who knows, I
might be incorrect with the above assumption :-P

-Josh