[openstack-dev] [ironic][OpenStackClient] two openstack commands for the same operation?

Dean Troyer dtroyer at gmail.com
Mon Aug 29 15:19:20 UTC 2016

On Mon, Aug 29, 2016 at 9:41 AM, Loo, Ruby <ruby.loo at intel.com> wrote:

> I did this because 'passthrough' is more English than 'passthru' and I
> thought that was the 'way to go' in osc. But some folks wanted it to be
> 'passthru' because in ironic, we've been calling them 'passthru' since day
> 2.

Our default rule is to use proper spellings and not abbreviations[0].  The
exceptions we have made are due to either a) significant existing practice
in the industry (outside OpenStack, mostly in the network area so far); and
b) when the user experience is clearly improved.

You might notice that calling out prior OpenStack usage is absent from that
list.  One of the tenets of OSC from the start is to look first at user
experience and identifying a _single_ set of terminology.  An existing
practice can fall under (b) when it is compelling overall, and is an easier
case to make when there is no competing OSC usage, or other OSC usage
matches.

Unfortunately, I wasn't able to make everyone happy because someone else
> thinks that we shouldn't be providing two different openstack commands that
> provide the same functionality. (They're fine with either one, just not
> both.)

I agree with not aliasing commands out of the box.  We'll do that for
deprecations, and are looking at a generalize alias method for other
reasons, but on initial implementation I would prefer to not do this.

> What do the rest of the folks think? Some guidance from the
> OpenStackClient folks would be greatly appreciated.

I would suggest you pick the one that lines up with usage outside
OpenStack, in the sorts of ways that our users would be familiar with[1].
In this case, a grep of help output of even 'passthr' will find the match.

Hopefully this all makes enough sense that we can add it as a guideline to
the OSC docs.  Feedback welcome.

Thanks
dt

[0] Where 'proper' is usually North American English, for whatever
definition of that we have. This is totally due to me not thinking far
enough ahead 4 years ago...

[1] Cases like "all other clouds use this term" or "it is the common way to
refer to this resource in the networking field" have been used in the past.

--
Dean Troyer
dtroyer at gmail.com