[openstack-dev] [tripleo][release] Plans re newton-3 release and feature freeze exceptions

Steven Hardy shardy at redhat.com
Mon Aug 29 12:17:38 UTC 2016

On Mon, Aug 29, 2016 at 12:18:17PM +0300, Juan Antonio Osorio wrote:
>    On Fri, Aug 26, 2016 at 7:14 PM, Steven Hardy <shardy at redhat.com> wrote:
>
>      Hi all,
>
>      There have been some discussions on $subject recently, so I wanted to
>      give
>      a status update.
>
>      Next week we will tag our newton-3 release, and we're currently working
>      either land or defer the remaining features tracked here:
>
>      https://launchpad.net/tripleo/+milestone/newton-3
>
>      We need to land as many of the "Needs Code Review" features as we can
>      before cutting the release next week, so please help by prioritizing
>      your
>      reviews.
>
>      --------------
>      Feature Freeze
>      --------------
>
>      After newton-3 is released, we'll have reached Feature Freeze for
>      Newton,
>      and any features landed after this point must be agreed as feature
>      freeze
>      exceptions (everything else will be deferred to Ocata) - the process is
>      mail this list with a justification, and details of which patches need
>      land, then we'll reach consensus over if it will be accepted or not
>      based
>      on the level of risk, and the status of the patches.
>
>      Currently there are three potential FFEs which I'm aware of:
>
>      1. Mistral API
>
>      We've made good progress on this over recent weeks, but several patches
>      remain - this is the umbrella BP, and it links several dependent BPs
>      which
>      are mostly posted but need code reviews, please help by testing and
>      reviewing these:
>
>      https://blueprints.launchpad.net/tripleo/+spec/mistral-deployment-library
>
>      2. Composable Roles
>
>      There are two parts to this, some remaining cleanups related to
>      per-service
>      configuration (such as bind_ip's) which need to land, and the related
>      custom-roles feature:
>
>      https://bugs.launchpad.net/tripleo/+bug/1604414
>
>      https://blueprints.launchpad.net/tripleo/+spec/custom-roles
>
>      Some patches still need to be fixed or written to enable custom-roles -
>      it's a stretch but I'd say a FFE may be reasonable provided we can get
>      the
>      remaining patches functional in the next few days (I'm planning to do
>      this)
>
>      3. Contrail integration
>
>      There are patches posted for this, but they need work - Carlos is
>      helping
>      so I'd suggest it should be possible to land these as a FFE (should be
>      low
>      risk as it's all disabled by default)
>
>      https://blueprints.launchpad.net/tripleo/+spec/contrail-services
>
>      These are the main features I'm aware of that are targetted to newton-3
>      but will probably slip, are there others folks want to raise?
>
>    Well, https://review.openstack.org/#/c/282307/ is still in progress and
> [...]

Just mail this list, either on this thread or an new one, provide details
of the justification, risk/benefit, and a detailed list of the outstanding
patches, if folks agree a FFE is reasonable (they can reply to the ML
and/or we'll discuss in IRC), I'll move the BP to our RC1 milestone in
launchpad.

I've not yet done that for custom-roles so here's my FFE request for
consideration, you can reply here in a similar format for tls-via-certmonger

FFE request for custom-roles:

Blueprint link: https://blueprints.launchpad.net/tripleo/+spec/custom-roles

It's about 90% complete, a few of the patches posted need some work, and
the final jina2 refactor of overcloud.yaml isn't finished, I expect all
remaining patches can be posted by the end of this week.

This has been blocked firstly on the composable services refactoring, and
more recently on the Mistral API work, both landed much later than
anticipated, and like everyone I've been struggling with pretty slow review
progress vs a long series of patches.

Justification/Benefit:

A lot of folks have been asking for this, and without the ability to spin
up arbitrary role types, a lot of the value of the effort we put into
composable services is diminished (because you still can't independently
scale anything).

Risk:

This is moderately risky, because some significant refactoring to
allNodesConfig and VipConfig have not yet landed.  I feel OK about this
other than the risk around anything we're not currently testing in CI, e.g
we disabled IPv6 testing so that will definitely need to be carefully
verified (and/or a CI test reinstated) prior to the final Newton release.

Detailed patch status:

Waiting on CI but ready for review:
https://review.openstack.org/#/c/361108/
https://review.openstack.org/#/c/355067
https://review.openstack.org/#/c/355068/
https://review.openstack.org/#/c/361731
https://review.openstack.org/#/c/361730/

WIP (I'm planning to update these later as there's some remaining issues):
https://review.openstack.org/#/c/361777/
https://review.openstack.org/#/c/361778/

We also need the remaining patches from dprince/gfidente to close this bug
(need to confirm if the three remaining actually close it or if there's
more
needed?):

https://review.openstack.org/#/q/status:open+project:openstack/tripleo-heat-templates+branch:master+topic:bug/1604414

When those all land, I can rebase and complete the patches which actually
transform overcloud.yaml into a jinja2 template:

https://review.openstack.org/#/c/315679/
https://review.openstack.org/#/c/337267/
https://review.openstack.org/#/c/337587
(there will be a few more after this)

Finally we need deployment via mistral API to land (dprince, can you help
push this forward?):
https://review.openstack.org/#/c/342261/ (on patchset 53, not yet passing
CI..)
(there are other mistral related patches not listed here, they're in the
etherpad).

Then we can convert this tripleoclient hack to a mistral action and add it
to the deployment workflow (if anyone has time to help with that I'd be
happy to pass this on, it should be a cut/paste from this patch into an
action in tripleo-common)
https://review.openstack.org/#/c/336625/

Thanks,

Steve