[openstack-dev] [Neutron][Nova] Neutron mid-cycle summary report

Armando M. armamig at gmail.com
Sat Aug 27 00:13:34 UTC 2016

Hi Neutrinos,

For those of you who couldn't join in person, please find a few notes below
to capture some of the highlights of the event.

I would like to thank everyone one who helped me put this report together,
and everyone who helped make this mid-cycle a fruitful one.

I would also like to thank IBM, and the individual organizers who made
everything go smoothly. In particular Martin, who put up with our moody
requests: thanks Martin!!

Feel free to reach out/add if something is unclear, incorrect or incomplete.

Cheers,
Armando

~~~~~~~

We touched on these topics (as initially proposed on
*https://etherpad.openstack.org/p/newton-neutron-midcycle-workitems
<https://etherpad.openstack.org/p/newton-neutron-midcycle-workitems>*)

   - Keystone v3 and project-id adoption:
      - dasm and amotoki have been working to making the Neutron server
      process project-id correctly [1]. Looking at the spec [2], we
are half way
      through having completed the DB migration, being Keystone v3
complaint, and
      having updated the client bindings [3].
         - [1] https://review.openstack.org/#/c/357977/
         - [2] https://review.openstack.org/#/c/257362/
         - [3] https://review.openstack.org/#/q/topic:bp/keystone-v3
      - Neutron-lib:
      - HenryG, dougwig and kevinbenton worked out a plan to get the
common_db_mixin
      into neutron-lib. Because of the risk of regression, this is
being deferred
      until Ocata opens up. However, simpler changes like the he model_base
      move to lib was agreed on and merged.
      - A plan to provide test support was discussed. The current strategy
      involves providing test base classes in lib (this reverses the stance
      conveyed in Austin). The usual steps involved require to making
      public the currently private classes, ensure the lib's copies are
      up-to-date with core neutron, and deprecate the ones located in
      Neutron.
      - rtheis and armax worked on having networking-ovn test periodically
      against neutron-lib [1,2,3].
         - [1] https://review.openstack.org/#/c/357086/
         - [2] https://review.openstack.org/#/c/359143/
         - [3] https://review.openstack.org/#/c/357079/
      - A tool (tools/migration_report.sh) helps project team determine the
      level of dependency they have with Neutron. It should be
improved to report
      the exact offending imports.
      - Right now neutron-lib 0.4.0 is released and available in
      global-requirements/upper-constraints.
   - Objects and hitless upgrades:
      - Ihar gave the team an overview and status update [1]
      - There was a fruitful discussion that hopefully set the way forward
      for Ocata. The discussed plan was to start Ocata with the
expectation that
      no new contract scripts are landing in Ocata, and to revisit the
      requirement later if for some reason we see any issue with applying the
      requirement in practice.
      - Some work was done to deliver necessary objects for
      push-notifications. Patches up for review. Some review cycles
were spent to
      work on landing patches moving model definitions under neutron/db/models
      - [1] http://lists.openstack.org/pipermail/openstack-dev/
         2016-August/101838.html
      - OSC transition:

   - rtheis gave an update to the team on the state of the transition. Core
      resources commands are all available through OSC; QoS, Metering and *-aaS
      are still not converted.
      - There is some confusion on how to tackle openstacksdk support. We
      discussed the future goal of python binding of Networking API. OSC uses
      OpenStack SDK for network commands and Neutron OSC plugin uses python
      bindings from python-neutronclient. A question is to which project
      developers who add new features implement, both, openstack SDK or
      python-neutronclient? There was no conclusion at the mid-cycle. It is not
      specific to neutron. Similar situation can happen for nova, cinder and
      other projects and we need to raise it to the community.

   - Ocata is going to be the first release where the neutronclient CLI is
      officially deprecated. It may take us more than the usual two cycles to
      remove it altogether, but that's a signal to developer and users to
      seriously develop against OSC, and report bugs against OSC.
      - Several pending contributions into osc-lib.
      - An update is available on [1,2]

   - [1] https://review.openstack.org/#/c/357844/
         - [2] https://etherpad.openstack.org/p/osc-neutron-support
      - Stability squash:
      - armax was bug deputy for the week of the mid-cycle; nothing
      critical showed up in the gate, however pluggable ipam [1] switch merged,
      which might have some unexpected repercussions down the road.
      - A number of bugs older than a year were made expirable [2].
      - kevinbenton and armax devised a strategy and started working on [3]
      to ensure DB retriable errors are no longer handled at the API layer.
      - The gate witnessed phantom resets that turned out to be related to
      [4].
      - kevinbenton, jlibosva, armax, jschwarz talked about the Neutron job
      queue configuration; it would be desirable to start gating on rally, and
      fullstack jobs but this can be done once Ocata opens up. Testing L3 HA in
      the multinode configuration is something that needs tackling too. Ideally
      we'd move away from testing legacy routing in the gate to give
resources to
      other priorities.
      - jlibosva should follow up with patches to make fullstack/functional
      job "bullet proof";
      - armax to make a case for check queue only voting status for
      functional/rally/fullstack jobs.
         - [1] https://review.openstack.org/#/c/181023/
         - [2] https://bugs.launchpad.net/neutron/+expirable-bugs
         - [3] https://review.openstack.org/#/c/356530/
         - [4] https://bugs.launchpad.net/devstack/+bug/1616282
      - Stadium wide efforts:
      - There was a discussion around what our API definition is.
      Specifically, whether we consider supported queries part of it,
and if so,
      if we plan to enforce this aspect in the future. Code inspection showed
      that it’s hard to determine query parameters supported by plugins right
      now. We will look into non-invasive ways to collect this data in Ocata.
      Armax to follow up on [1], which he is using to break ground.
      - API reference clean up sprint has been announced and started.
The guideline
      on the API reference was prepared [2]. Some lead-by-example patches have
      been posted and merged [3].
         - [1] https://review.openstack.org/#/c/353131/
         - [2] https://etherpad.openstack.org/p/neutron-api-ref-sprint
         - [3] https://review.openstack.org/#/c/350857/

   - Nova/Neutron integration
      - armax, johnthetubaguy and carl_baldin participated in a couple of
      discussions about live migration and multiple port binding. There is a
      common understanding of the problem and how to improve the resiliency of
      the boot/live migration operation. Some thoughts are being captured on
      [1,2]. The plan is to ensure all the legwork is complete ahead of the
      summit so that the team can switch into execution mode during the Ocata
      timeframe.
      - There are areas where Nova talks to Neutron that can be improved
      and the team identified/discussed a few, the periodic polls being an
      example. Providing the ability to aggregate more data in a single API was
      also contemplated.
      - armax, johnthetubaguy, ihrachys talked about next steps in order to
      allow os-vif to access a versioned object of vif details as stored by
      Neutron.
      - carl_baldwin was able to make some progress on [3] to abort build
      if Nova tries to schedule a vm to a segment where the IP is not usable.
         - [1] https://review.openstack.org/#/c/309416/
         - [2] https://review.openstack.org/#/c/353982/
         - [3] https://review.openstack.org/#/c/346278/
      - Newton blueprints (in no particular order):
      - push notifications: discussed future steps on how to implement
      compare and swap updates to reduce some of the races experienced when
      dealing with the Neutron API.
      - service subnets:
         - Spent some time tying up some final loose ends on the service
         subnets capability. Patch [1] was the final one of the
effort. Need to get
         the release note written and merged it.
            - [1] https://review.openstack.org/#/c/350613
            - routed networks:
         - mlavalle implemented a Generic Resource Pools client [1]
         leveraged in [2].
         - carl_baldwin and kevinbenton had a very productive discussion
         about how to add standard attributes to the networksegments table to
         complete its transition to being a first class API resource.
kevinbenton
         was able to provide an example and we're working to wrap that
up now [3].
         - carl_baldwin discussed the patch [4] to enable creating and
         deleting segments with the ML2 plugin with kevinbenton. This
may be the
         last hurdle for routed networks. Wrapping this up before
feature freeze
         would be of great help.
            - [1] https://github.com/miguellavalle/python-
            placementclient/tree/adding-grp-support
            - [2] https://review.openstack.org/#/c/358658/
            - [3] https://review.openstack.org/#/c/293305
            - [4] https://review.openstack.org/#/c/317358

   - vlan-aware-vms:
         - jlibosva and armax talked about how to deal with failures during
         OVS trunk setup. That resulted in jlibosva working on on
OVSDB transaction
         manager to handle nested transaction.
         - armax and tidwellr are working on completing the trunk state
         machine,
         - kevinbenton is rebasing/working on the linuxbridge driver
         - OVN driver coming along as well.
         - https://review.openstack.org/#/q/status:open+topic:bp/vlan-
         aware-vms
         - Resource status:
      - Many Neutron resources have status/admin_state_up attributes,
      however their meaning is not consistent across. This makes difficult to
      address use cases like [1]. We should start painting a picture of what
      exactly each attribute mean for each resource in order to make
sure we can
      approach to cases like [1] more informed.
         - [1] https://review.openstack.org/#/c/351675/