[openstack-dev] [tripleo][release] Plans re newton-3 release and feature freeze exceptions

Steven Hardy shardy at redhat.com
Fri Aug 26 16:14:37 UTC 2016

Hi all,

There have been some discussions on $subject recently, so I wanted to give
a status update.

Next week we will tag our newton-3 release, and we're currently working to
either land or defer the remaining features tracked here:

https://launchpad.net/tripleo/+milestone/newton-3

We need to land as many of the "Needs Code Review" features as we can
before cutting the release next week, so please help by prioritizing your
reviews.

--------------
Feature Freeze
--------------

After newton-3 is released, we'll have reached Feature Freeze for Newton,
and any features landed after this point must be agreed as feature freeze
exceptions (everything else will be deferred to Ocata) - the process is to
mail this list with a justification, and details of which patches need to
land, then we'll reach consensus over if it will be accepted or not based
on the level of risk, and the status of the patches.

Currently there are three potential FFEs which I'm aware of:

1. Mistral API

We've made good progress on this over recent weeks, but several patches
remain - this is the umbrella BP, and it links several dependent BPs which
are mostly posted but need code reviews, please help by testing and
reviewing these:

https://blueprints.launchpad.net/tripleo/+spec/mistral-deployment-library

2. Composable Roles

There are two parts to this, some remaining cleanups related to per-service
configuration (such as bind_ip's) which need to land, and the related
custom-roles feature:

https://bugs.launchpad.net/tripleo/+bug/1604414

https://blueprints.launchpad.net/tripleo/+spec/custom-roles

Some patches still need to be fixed or written to enable custom-roles -
it's a stretch but I'd say a FFE may be reasonable provided we can get the
remaining patches functional in the next few days (I'm planning to do this)

3. Contrail integration

There are patches posted for this, but they need work - Carlos is helping
so I'd suggest it should be possible to land these as a FFE (should be low
risk as it's all disabled by default)

https://blueprints.launchpad.net/tripleo/+spec/contrail-services

These are the main features I'm aware of that are targetted to newton-3
but will probably slip, are there others folks want to raise?

----
Bugs
----

Any bugs not fixed by newton-3 will be deferred to an RC1 milestone I
created, so that we can track remaining release-blocker bugs in the weeks
leading to the final release.  Please ensure all bugs are targetted to this
milestone so we don't miss them.

https://launchpad.net/tripleo/+milestone/newton-rc1

Please let me know if there are any questions or concerns, and thanks to
everyone for all the help getting to this point, it's been a tough but
productive cycle, and I'm looking forward to reaching our final newton
release! :)

Thanks,

Steve