[openstack-dev] [tempest][cinder] Clone feature toggle not in clone tests

Ben Swartzlander ben at swartzlander.org
Thu Aug 25 17:06:34 UTC 2016

Originally the NFS driver did support snapshots, but it was implemented by
just 'cp'ing the file containing the raw bits. This works fine (if
inefficiently) for unattached volumes, but if you do this on an attached
volume the snapshot won't be crash consistent at all.

It was decided that we could do better for attached volumes by switching to
qcow2 and relying on nova to perform the snapshots. Based on this, the bad
snapshot implementation was removed.

However, for a variety of reasons the nova-assisted snapshot implementation
has remained unmerged for 2+ years and the NFS driver has been an exception
to the rules for that whole time.

I would like to see that exception end in the near future with either the
removal of the driver or the completion of the Nova-assisted snapshot
implementation, and it doesn't really matter to me which.

There is a 3rd alternative which would be to modify the NFS driver to
require a specific filesystem that supports snapshots (there are a few
choices here, but definitely NOT ext4). Unfortunately those of us who work
for storage vendors aren't motivated to make such a modification because it
would be effectively creating more competition for ourselves. The only way
this could happen is if someone not working for a storage vendor takes this on.

-Ben