[openstack-dev] [nova] VM console for VMware instances

Andrew Laski andrew at lascii.com
Thu Aug 25 15:25:12 UTC 2016

On Thu, Aug 25, 2016, at 09:50 AM, Radoslav Gerganov wrote:
> Hi,
>
> If you want to use the MKS console for VMware instances, it's now
> possible with the nova-mksproxy[1].
> There is a devstack plugin, so simply add this in your local.conf:
>
>   [[local|localrc]]
>   enable_plugin nova-mksproxy https://github.com/openstack/nova-mksproxy
>
> the CLI command for getting a console URL is:
>
>   $ nova get-mks-console <instance_name>
>
> This is the preferred console type for VMware instances because it
> doesn't require any configuration
> changes on the hypervisor (whereas VNC requires opening network ports).
>
> Any comments/feedback is welcome.
>
> -Rado
>
> [1] https://github.com/openstack/nova-mksproxy

Is there a reason this has not been proposed to the Nova project, or
have I missed that? I looked for a proposal and did not see one.

I see that there's support in Nova and python-novaclient for this
feature, but the actual proxy is not in the Nova tree. In situations
like this, where there's in-tree code to support an out of tree feature,
we typically deprecate and remove that code unless there's a plan to
move all of the components into the project. Is there a plan to move
this proxy into Nova?