[openstack-dev] [tripleo] collaboration request with vendors

Emilien Macchi emilien at redhat.com
Wed Aug 24 19:11:38 UTC 2016

TripleO does support multiple vendors for different type of backends.
Here are some examples:
Neutron networking: Cisco, Nuage, Opencontrail, Midonet, Plumgrid, Biswitch
Cinder: Dell, Netapp, Ceph

TripleO developers are struggling to maintain the environment files
that allow to deploy those backends because it's very hard to test
them:
- not enough hardware
- zero knowledge at how to deploy the actual backend system
- no time to test all backends

Recently, we made some changes in TripleO CI that will help us to
scale the way we test TripleO in the future.
One of those changes is that we can now deploy TripleO using nodepool
instances like devstack jobs.

I wrote a prototype of TripleO job scenario:
https://review.openstack.org/#/c/360039/ that will allow us to have
more CI jobs with less services installed on each, so we can save
performances while increasing services coverage.
I would like to re-use those bits to test our vendors backends.

Here's the proposal:
- for vendors backends that can be deployed using TripleO itself
(open-source backend systems like OpenContrail, Midonet, etc): we
could re-use the scenario approach by adding new scenarios for each
backend.
The jobs would only be triggered if we touch environment files related
on the backend in THT or the puppet profiles for the backend in
puppet-tripleo or the puppet backend class in puppet-neutron for the
backend (all thanks to Zuul magic).

- for vendors backends that can't be deployed using TripleO itself
(not implemented in the services and / or not open-source):
Like most of you probably did for devstack jobs in neutron/cinder's
gates, work with us to implement CI jobs that would deploy TripleO
with your backend. I don't have the exact technical solution right
now, but at least I would like to know who would be interested by this
collaboration.

This request would be a win/win:
- tripleo developers would produce a better installer, actually tested
on different backends/plugins.
- vendors would get more feedback at how their plugin work in
real-life with TripleO.

I would like to know who is interested by this collaboration.

Thanks for reading so far,
--
Emilien Macchi