[openstack-dev] [TripleO] TripleO Deep dive sessions for CI topics.

James Slagle james.slagle at gmail.com
Wed Aug 24 18:24:49 UTC 2016

On Wed, Aug 24, 2016 at 12:17 PM, Carlos Camacho Gonzalez
<ccamacho at redhat.com> wrote:
> Hello guys!
>
> I will like to ask you a question related to future TripleO deep dive
> sessions.
>
> What about having a specific series for CI? I read some people kind of
> “complaining” on IRC when CI does not work properly and assuming that taking
> care of CI is part of everyone's work let's try go have more eyes on CI
> (including me).
>
> I believe if more people its actually able to debug “real” CI issues we will
> be able to decrease the amount of work that these tasks take from the team.
>
> I added to https://etherpad.openstack.org/p/tripleo-deep-dive-topics a
> section with some topics, feel free to add/edit items and let's discuss it
> on the weekly meeting to see if in a mid-term we can have some introduction
> to CI.

I think this is a great idea. What I'd like to know before planning
something like this is what specific things do people need help on
when it comes to debugging failed jobs. How have folks tried to debug
jobs that have failed and gotten stuck?

Most of the time it is looking at logs and trying to reproduce
locally. I'd be happy to show that, but I feel like we've already
covered that to a large degree. So, I'd like to dig a little more into
specific ways people get stuck with failures and then we can directly
address those.

Ideally, a root cause of a failure could always be found, but that is
just not going to be the case given other constraints. It often comes
down to what one is able to reproduce locally, and how to mitigate the
issues as best we can (see email I just sent for an example).

Let me know or add the specifics to the etherpad and I'll pull
something together if there are no other volunteers :).

--
-- James Slagle