[openstack-dev] 答复: [cinder]concerns on driver deprecation policy

Husheng (TommyLike, R&D IT&Tools Equipment Dept) hu.husheng at huawei.com
Fri Aug 19 01:54:31 UTC 2016

On Thu, Aug 18, 2016 at 15:36:00PM +0000, Sean McGinnis <sean.mcginnis at gmx.com> wrote:
> > Hi all,
> > Sorry for absence from IRC meeting of this week and put forward this topic on driver deprecation policy again. Actually I support the driver support tag policy completely, it's a reasonable policy for both sides, and these below are my 2 concerns:

> > 1. With the release of driver deprecation policy, we may leave a negative impression on our customers/operators, cause we just send them a warning message while we bring out the unstable or unusable driver codes together . If I were the customer, I will probably not change my vendor for a few warning messages, so this is what may happen for the unlucky boys, they insist on their choice by setting the enable_unsupported_driver = TRUE and get stuck. So this action may let them to take the risk(result) of their own, maybe we can set up a guide of this situation rather than the announce possible result.

> I'm not actually clear what you mean here for setting up "a guide of this situation". Can you clarify that?

Sorry for the inferior English, Let me make it more clearly. "a guide of this situation" means to set up a guideline for customer to get rid of the troubles caused by their insistence and unstable driver with more convenience. But now I think maybe this's redundant after your legible explanation below:

>Marking the driver as deprecated would then allow for some leeway (for customers to angrily yell at their storage vendor to get their act together) so that hopefully they would fix their CI issues and make sure they are maintaining their driver. If they are able to turn things around we can then remove that deprecation tag and unsupported flag and everything's back to normal.

And the second point, I'm not referring to the background but the current idea itself. few concerns to enhance the operability, I will comment these on topics:[1]

Thanks
TommyLike.Hu

[1] https://review.openstack.org/#/c/355608/