[openstack-dev] [cinder]concerns on driver deprecation policy

Husheng (TommyLike, R&D IT&Tools Equipment Dept) hu.husheng at huawei.com
Thu Aug 18 03:44:10 UTC 2016

Hi all,
Sorry for absence from IRC meeting of this week and put forward this topic on driver deprecation policy again. Actually I support the driver support tag policy completely, it's a reasonable policy for both sides, and these below are my 2 concerns:

1. With the release of driver deprecation policy, we may leave a negative impression on our customers/operators, cause we just send them a warning message while we bring out the unstable or unusable driver codes together . If I were the customer, I will probably not change my vendor for a few warning messages, so this is what may happen for the unlucky boys, they insist on their choice by setting the enable_unsupported_driver = TRUE and get stuck. So this action may let them to take the risk(result) of their own, maybe we can set up a guide of this situation rather than the announce possible result.

2. As this is a big change for vendor teams to get noticed and keep. What's the detail rule of this policy, who or what will decide the vendor's support attribute. What's the deadline for vendor before we create the decisive patch. And when the vendor meets the standards again, what is the procedure followed for the customer to make their system work again. Do we need a document on all of this in detail?

Thanks
TommyLike.Hu