[openstack-dev] [all][infra] Binary Package Dependencies - not only for Python

Jeremy Stanley fungi at yuggoth.org
Wed Aug 17 15:42:06 UTC 2016

On 2016-08-16 18:15:53 -0500 (-0500), Matthew Thode wrote:
> I look at it (as a packager), though it is somewhat dubious as to
> whether or not what's there is actually needed.  Having test-bindep.txt
> like we have test-requirements would be helpful.

In my mind, our use of bindep.txt is mostly intended to tell
developers what packages they're missing to be able to run tests.
Distro package maintainers need to look at a lot more information to
identify direct dependencies of OpenStack projects (most of which
will be Python libraries and so not included in bindep.txt).
Further, due to lack of non-Python dependency management in the
Python packaging ecosystem, most of the contents of bindep.txt will
be indirect dependencies of that project and so already handled in
your dependency management for its Python dependencies instead.

As a distro package maintainer I might help write a project's
bindep.txt to include information I know about my particular
platform so as to ease development work for the project, but I
wouldn't expect it to contain information to help me perform my
distro packaging work.
--
Jeremy Stanley